Monday, July 28, 2014

Beef & Liberty

So I've been in and out of "hermiting" for some time now, broke last week's cycle and went to Beef & Liberty for dinner last night. This was my second visit, actually. If you want to check out their menu, here is the link - Beef & Liberty Menu

I decided to just have water to drink but my friend loooveees milkshakes so he ordered a chocolate one for himself. It was lusciously thick, creamy and rich. Depending on your personal preference on consistency, you'd either love it or hate it, I think. I enjoyed it.

We shared a portion of their Scotch Eggs which came with dijon mustard. I'm a bit obsessed with runny yolks and as you can see these little quail eggs were perfectly soft boiled. So crunchy on the outside and then that moist inner circle of pork and egg, my mouth is already salivating typing about this.

I love the fact that Beef & Liberty are so generous with their portions. This is their Chicken Burger which my friend had ordered, you can see they don't have one but TWO pieces of fried breaded chicken. I was told it was crispy, moist and tender :) Unfortunately, I didn't steal a bite so I'm not sure how the flavor profile worked with the cajun aioli and cabbage slaw in the burger, but he did say it tasted "really good". On the side are their "Liberty Fries" aka thick cut fries, they weren't crispy but they weren't soggy either, kind of a fluffy texture actually.

When I looked at the menu I really wanted to try their Black Peppercorn Burger. Peppers, onion jam and cheese sounded like an amazing combo. I guess it's called a black peppercorn burger for a reason, that pepper be crazy! I have a pretty high spice tolerance but the back of my throat had this really uncomfortable pepper burning sensation through out the meal (I did finish my burger, fyi). I thought the onion jam would be sweet and would cut through the pepper, but I guess not? If you really are a pepper fanatic you'll love this, but it's not for me. The meat on the other hand was cooked really well (I had asked for medium), still moist and juicy.

I'm kind of annoyed at myself, I was so fussed about taking a picture of the burger that I completely forgot about the SWEET POTATO FRIES I had ordered!! Gah! Crispy, crunchy, sweet goodness! If you go, this should be on your "to order list". By the way, you can get what ever sauce you want with your fries, we went with cajun aioli and house BBQ.

To finish off, we had Apple Pie from their specials board. I love me some warm apple pie! Pastry was crisp and flaky, apple was soft and sweet with a lovely aroma (and flavor) of cinnamon, everything you'd want in a good apple pie. They say it is served with cream - that the server pours on the table - which is more like custard/creme anglaise and it goes so brilliantly well with apple pie.

I'm sure I will be back again, their food is generous and prepared well, I'll just make sure to steer away from anything with pepper. The overall bill was HKD 477.00 for 2 people which wasn't so bad considering I left the restaurant with a 2 month food baby.

Beef & Liberty
Star St. Precinct,
2/F, 23 Wing Fung St.,
Wan Chai

www.beef-liberty.com/hk/




No comments:

Post a Comment